Our team of gynecologists, midwives, pediatricians and anesthetists with more than 30 years of experience are at your service.
The delivery refers to all the mechanisms leading to the exit of the fetus and the placenta, from the uterus to the exterior. From a human perspective, if everything goes well, it will be a very positive experience. A pregnancy lasts for approximately 40 weeks. The pregnancy “to term” defines the period between the 37th and the 42nd week, from the time the symptoms showing the signs of delivery: breakage of water and/or contractions.
Meeting at the fertility clinic or at the hospital (at the end of 37 weeks or more) if you have:
- Rhythmical uterus contractions, which become more and more intense and with a frequency of at least 2 to 10 minutes for 30 minutes.
- Loss of liquid in the vagina (possible breakage of water).
- Loss of blood through the vagina.
Normal delivery, without medical intervention
It consists of the work carried out by a pregnant woman without any risk factor, spontaneously triggered between the 37th and 42nd week and which, after the physiological development of the dilatation and delivery, ends with the normal birth of a child who appropriately adapts to extra-uterus life. The birth and post-natal care should also develop in a physiological manner.
Personalized care at the time of delivery
Our center offers personalized care during delivery implying the presence of the following human team: a gynecologist, a midwife, an anesthetist and a pediatrician. The stay in the fertility clinic lasts three days on average for deliveries, and 4 days for a cesarean.
A natural delivery implies “care first for the woman and her physiology and a reduction of medicines to the least possible level”, according to the OMS recommendations (Global Health Organization). In our maternity, in the MQ de Reus Center, we have a space especially conceived to favor the natural procedure of deliveries and the possibility, if required, to carry out a medical process.
Normal delivery support characteristics in our center:
- The woman in labor may be accompanied by any person of her choice at all times.
- Washing the intestine is optional. We prefer spontaneous urination.
- We control pain by using an epidural anesthesia (on request by the patient).
- We control the wellbeing of the fetus by continuous cardiotocographic monitoring (“straps”) or in intermittences.
- We rely on medicines only if required (ocytocins, prostaglandins, antibiotics, etc.).
- Episiotomy is done only if required.
- If possible, we wait for the beatings of the chord to stop before cutting it.
- Once the adaptation to extra-uterus life of the newborn is assured, we perform the Apgar Test and, if the conditions allow it, we place the baby on the mother (skin against skin).
- We encourage breast feeding as soon as possible (if nothing prevents the mother and if she wants to do so).
- We offer the father the possibility to hold the newborn in his arms.
- Under normal conditions, we transfer the mother to her room without separating her from her child.
If at the end of 40 weeks, there is no sign of delivery trigger, it will be done at the fertility clinic before the 42nd week.